WELCOME TO YEAR 4
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Welcome to Year 4 2023/24
Class Teacher - Mr M Wilson
Teaching Assistant - Mrs M Mikinnik
Teaching Assistant - Mrs T Appleby
PPA Cover - Mrs Jobbins
We have so many things to look forward to this year!
- RE - Our new topic is The Bible. In this topic, the children will learn that the Bible tells us about God and his love for us. They will learn some Old Testament stories and be introduced to some important religious themes such as trusting in God and prayer. They will be given the opportunity to develop their research skills by looking up Bible references. Please take a look at the RE Newsletter for more information about our work
and important dates for the Church over this half term.
You can help your child by reading the stories of the Bible to your child
- English -
In English this half term the children will be writing a narrative based on work they will do around the book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling. The children will have the opportunity to read and listen to the story a number of times. They will engage with the text through drama, discussion and debate in order to increase their familiarity with the structure of the story. There is also a grammar focus on using adverbials of time and place and a chance to develop thesaurus skills. The children will then plan their own story based on the structure of the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and they will have the opportunity to draft, edit and present their final narrative.
You can help your child by reading with them everyday even if it is only for a short period of time. Reading will increase their vocabulary and improve their written work.
- Maths - In mathematics Year 4 will consolidate their knowledge of place value and the four operations. They will look at fractions of shapes and amounts using diagrams and families of common equivalent fractions. They will consider the properties of shape and identify lines of symmetry in 2-D shapes. They will further develop their skill in measurement and will calculate the area and perimeter
of rectilinear shapes.
You can help your child by helping them learn their timetables This will help them later in the year in both multiplication and division.
- Science - In science our topic this term is Sound. The children will learn how sounds are made, associating some of them with something vibrating. They will recognise that vibrations from a sound travel through a medium to the ear. They will conduct investigations to find patterns between the volume of a sound and the strength of the vibrations that produced it.
You can help your child by visiting the library and looking at information books relating to sound
- Geography/ History - Our topic this half term is ‘ The Vikings’;. The children will learn about The Viking invasion and its impact on Britain. They will develop a chronologically secure knowledge and understanding of British, local and world history. They will learn where the Viking culture began and use research skills to find out about its invasion of Britain in .
You can help your child by finding information books about the Vikings.
- Swimming will be on a Thursday.
- Homework will be set on a Friday due in for Monday.
- Spellings will be set on a Friday for a test the following Friday.
- There will be ad hoc times tables tests in lessons so please make sure you are learning all your times tables at home.